The best 2D plugins and tools for Unity3D
Unity 3D is a wonderful game engine, easy to use and multiplatform. But, for make 2d games is really limited. Recently, it has implemented some tools to make 2D games but can still improve and add more features. Exists various plugins for make 2d games.
Recently Unity technologies has launched the improved Unity 5. 2D tools of Unity 5 are better than Unity 4, no need to use a third-party plugin or tool to manage sprites but still it has some limitations. These limitations can be compensated using certainthird-party plugins, in this other post I explain this.
Unikron Software Ltd.
Documentation and API
Unity asset store page
Unity forum thread
2D Toolkit provides an efficient and flexible 2D sprite and text system which integrates seamlessly into the Unity environment. Our key focus with this product is mobile performance and workflow efficiency.
2D Toolkit is designed for rapid prototyping, and is built to take you all the way to a shipping game.
- Platform specific sprite collections.
- Tilemap editor (beta).
- Import TMX directly into tilemap system.
- Fire and forget atlasing system.
- Automatic atlas rebuild – change a source texture and your atlas is rebuilt.
- Sprite dicing saving atlas area and fillrate.
- Custom sprite geometry supporting non-rectangular shapes.
- User defined custom anchor points.
- Pixel perfect rendering.
- Workflow-centric animation editor – Set up large animations in seconds.
- Sliced sprites for 9-slice scaling.
- Automatically generate multiple atlases from Sprite Collections.
- Create automatic and custom colliders.
- Create polygon colliders with multiple shapes for one sprite.
- Static sprite batcher with automatic collider generation.
- Texture gradient support for TextMeshes
- Extremely efficient and lean C# runtime code.
- Unity 3.5 and Flash compatibility.
2D Toolkit is efficient. We go out of our way to make 2D Toolkit the one of most efficient sprite solution in Unity. As much work as possible is done during the atlas build stage, and you are not burdened with a large number of Behaviours attached to your GameObject. As a result, you can concentrate on whats really important; drawing as many sprites as possible!
2D Toolkit is built around familiar Unity principles. It integrates seamlessly into Unity, and stays out of your way until you need it. Mix and match with any other Unity tool.
Top Notch Support
Have a problem with 2D Toolkit? Have some questions on how to best use a certain feature? We usually solve your problems within 24 hours! Use the form on the support section to get in touch with us.
We also constantly improve the product, rolling out free updates on the Unity Asset Store.
Optimized for Mobile
Blazing fast runtime code, optimized for mobile from design. This means the bare minimum of allocations at runtime too.
Super lean C# runtime
Everything which can be done offline, is done offline. Minimal runtime code means less bloat, and more speed! 322 lines for TextMesh, and 637 lines for Sprites, at last count.
2D Toolkit is a fire-and-forget system. Set up your sprite collections once, and when any of the source textures change, atlases will automatically be regenerated. Each sprite collection can now generate multiple atlases if necessary, using them is completely transparent.
Source your sprites the way you want to. 2D Toollkit can source sprites from regular sprite-sheets, and they will be automatically trimmed and merged.
This feature unique to 2D Toolkit lets you dice up your large sprites to save fill-rate and atlas space. You tick the “Dice” checkbox, set up sizes, and we do the rest.
Sprite animations are a snap to set up. Pick the first frame of your animation and the system will auto-fill the rest of them out for you.
Import fonts from BMFont, Hiero and the the excellent Glyph Designer. Supports sparse character sets, and super fast runtime which doesn’t allocate memory constantly.
Our Static Sprite Batcher is an efficient way to build backgrounds. Place sprites where you need them, and click Commit to bake it down to a mesh.
Don’t waste your time packing atlases. Hand it to the system and it manages the rest, even when your source files change.
We don’t interfere with your workflow. You don’t need to code to create a sprite, simply click Create > tk2d > Sprite.
Set up automatic and custom box colliders. You can also set up polygon colliders with multiple shapes for each sprite. No more going back and forth into your 3D package to set up polygon colliders. Build complex levels with collision using the Static Sprite Batcher.
2D Toolkit will automatically animate your box colliders when you have set them up for your sprites.
And everything else
2D Toolkit is full of other time saving and workflow improving tools, it would be impossible to list every single feature. Here are some of the rest:
- Supports arbitrarily sized sprites.
- Set up anchor points so your sprites rotate at the right points, and to line up animated sprites.
- Efficient batching system for background static sprites. Create combined static sprite meshes seamlessly and efficiently.
- Scale sprites without breaking dynamic batching.
- Easily and quickly build large libraries of sprite animations for your projects.
- Sprites for animations can be sourced from any number of atlases.
- Easy to use minimalist in-game API.
- Texture gradient support for text meshes and inline style selector for rich gradients.
- User friendly editor, creating and using sprites and animations has never been simpler!
ex2D is a highly integrated 2D-sprite-related development extension for Unity. It aims at providing high performance 2D sprite/UI solution inside Unity, with a specific focus on creating tons of cutting-edge sprite animations and other content in complicated Unity scenes, while still maintaining great performance on mobile devices.
ex2D includes several editor class that runs as view tabs inside Unity, to help developers making 2D assets easily. They are Atlas Editor, Font Editor, SpriteAnimation Editor, the upcoming Tile Map Editor and 2D Skinning Editor. All the editors are written by C# script and directly run in Unity.
ex2D follows the Unity working pipeline standard closely. Unlike other 2D plugins in Unity which directly saves 2D resource in Components, we use the ScriptableObject to handle most of the 2D resource (Atlas, Sprite Animation, Bitmap Font…). In this way, ex2D generates assets that easily reusable and manageable for content-rich projects. We also design several Components to reference these data when editing the scene and runtime scripting. Following the advanced asset listening technique in ex2D, developers will not need to worry about data out of the date, they will sync automatically.
ex2D is highly optimized for mobile devices, the code is carefully written to prevent heap allocating and produce less draw calls.
- Pack textures into texture atlas in an editor window inside Unity.
- Can manually move, add and remove textures in atlas.
- Automatically detect atlas changes and apply to the scene immediately.
- Generate atlas asset under the standard of Scriptable Object in Unity.
- Add this component to any GameObject to turn it into a sprite.
- You can drag and drop texture file to the Sprite Component. The Sprite Component will detect if the texture is included in any atlas asset and choose the proper asset. If the texture is not in any atlas, it will just use the original texture file.
- Scale sprites in game without breaking dynamic batching.
- Choose different Anchor position for aligning the sprites in different type of Sprite Animation.
- Support different camera direction (XY, XZ, YZ)
- Pixel Perfect render support.
- Layer system to help Designer and Artist sort out the rendering order of all sprites in the scene.
- Automatically adjust the collider size when the sprite size changed.
Sprite animation clip editor
- User friendly interface.
- Scale and scroll enabled time line editor.
- Move, add, remove and insert Frame Element by dragging and dropping them directly.
- Adjustable single frame length to make animation creating more versatile.
- Support adding animation events directly in the timeline editor.
- Preview animation result in the editor.
- Reference sprite animation in script by clip names.
- Provide interface to control animation state ( play, pause, stop )
- Support pause/resume animation.
Atlas font editor
- Support fonts export from BMfont and Hiero.
- Multiple fonts can be put together in one big texture atlas to save draw calls.
- Fonts can also be put together with other texture sprite to save draw calls.
- Manage fonts easily in atlas editor.
- Support rendering text from Atlas Font asset and Bitmap Font asset.
- Support in game gradient color rendering (you can specify two colors for gradient and change them in runtime).
- Support in game outline rendering (outline width and color are adjustable).
- Support in game shadow rendering (offset and color are adjustable).
- Support multi-line text.
- Support rendering Scale9Grid texture from atlas or texture.
- Drag to resize.
- Editor to setting Scale9Grid texture.
- Clip sprite, text and other sprite type in rectangle.
- Easy to setup clip list.
- A tree view layer editor helps user easily arrange and group layers.
- Can edit layer in both Prefab and GameObjects.
- Support inserting new items in a layer dynamically when running the game.
- Tile Map Editor
- 2D Skeleton Animation Editor
- 2D Skinning Editor
- 2D GUI System
- Working pipeline for multiple resolution.
- Export the 2D scenes and assets in XML and JSON file format.
- Load the exported xml/json file in Cocoa2D.
- Load the exported xml/json file in Web-Browser(Html5).
Documentation, Tutorials and API
Demo1, Demo2 or Video
Unity asset store page
Unity forum thread
Construct a game in a flash with drag and drop and give it life with our exclusive auto physicalization and sprite or skeletal animation feature.
- Batchable Skeletal sprites
- Native 2D physics support
- Optimization of static skeletal sprites
- Improved integration with Unity2D
- Parallax for Uni2D/Unity2D sprites
- Improved integration with Unity2D
- Skeletal and Sprite animation support
- Drag and drop Sprites and multiselection
- Generate accurate physic shapes in one click
- Mesh and hull render
- Atlas generator
- Pixel perfect
- Powerful physics tool
- Playmaker compliant
- Concave VS Concave Physic
- Optimized for mobile with MultiAtlasing even in free version
RagePixel is a free 2D sprite manager for Unity. It offers ability to draw and animate pixelart inside the Unity editor. No hassle with texture atlases or import pipelines. Just draw!
RagePixel is an extension for Unity. It’s main purpose is to provide means for drawing and animating pixelart. The twist is, that RagePixel is not relying on the import pipeline. It brings the drawing tools inside the Editor.
- Easy-to-use sprite animation timelines.
- Convenient layering useful for 2D map design.
- Simple but helpful shaders that solve the grainy image problem.
- Draw sprites within scene, directly on 2D plane objects!
- It’s a free tool.
- Drawing tools only work in orthographic mode.
- The sprite animation timeline could be a little bit confusing at first and takes some playing around to figure out.
- Relies too much on the Unity scene editor.
- Makes importing your own images very difficult.
- Not clear how to change the size or resolution of each frame.
RageSpline is a Unity and Unity Pro compatible tool for creating and editing smooth 2D vector graphics. It features anti-aliasing, color gradients, emboss, texturing, automatic physics, great iOS/Android performance and cool example games.
- Generate 2D vector graphics inside Unity Editor with bézier splines
- Fully adjustable colors and gradients + emboss styling
- Multi-texturing with easy texture positioning
- Automatic physics collider generation with BoxCollider and MeshCollider options
- Adjustable vertex count for visuals and physics.
- Grid & snapping gizmo for accurate drawing
- Good peformance on iOS/Android
- RageSpline API for run-time code access
- Two game templates included: Top-down Game and Physics Game
- Fully working example game included: Uphill Rage
- No sprite manager
- No animation system.
- No text system.
- No allow SVG file import.
- Not clear how to change the size or resolution of each frame.
- The price is very expensive compared to all functions. If you want all functions must be paid by the two additional tools.
The features of this tool can be expanded with two add-ons:
RageTools buffs your game with superior, always crisp GUI elements and 2D Vector art. RageTools is a collection of components for Unity, which run on top of RageSpline. Requires RageSpline.
- Rage SVG-In, vector art importer compatible with Adobe Illustrator(tm) and Inkscape files.
- Rage Group, which allows the easy tweaking of multiple RageSplines at once.
- Rage EdgeTune, an adaptive anti-aliasing and level-of-detail (LOD) tool that intelligently and seamlessly changes your shapes in real-time for the best possible quality and performance.
- Rage Pivotools, to easily place the pivot, center and offset vector shapes.
- Rage CanvasAlign, to align your GUI elements to a certain screen corner or edge, resolution-independent.
- Rage Constraint, add external controllers to your RageSpline groups, for high-performance animation editing.
RageTools Pro is a set of powerful enhancement components for RageSpline + RageTools. Requires RageSpline and RageTools.
- Rage Sprite: Forget atlases! RageSprite allows you to create mobile-performant game sprite animations straight from your vector art. True create-once-and-for-all, no more sprite-size guesswork or re-work to support any new ultra-high resolution which pops up
- Rage Text: Say goodbye to pixelized and blurry-looking bitmap fonts! RageText is a Vector Text generator a la ScaleForm™, but fully integrated in Unity and compatible with all its deploy platforms. Two vector fonts included plus a detailed guide on how to convert any font to the system
- Rage Magnet: Powerful yet easy to use, RageMagnet is a bone-like deformation and animation component for Vector Art
- Rage IK: The most powerful 2D IK solution for Unity, with one-click setup and multi-segment support
- Rage Button: to set up interface buttons’ animations and action hooks 100% visually, no code involved
SVGAssets is a runtime library for reading SVG files and render them on Texture2D objects that requires Unity 5 and Unity 2D.
This plugin is similar to RageTools Pro but in some extent it is unique because uses Unity 2D to animate sprites. Is a powerful tool to make games with responsive graphics.
- Automatic generation of sprites from SVG files.
- Optimized texture atlasing, built at runtime on the target device.
- Automatic deployment system: textures removal and regeneration on the target device.
- Final player file size reduction, avoiding bitmaps deployment at all.
- Separate rendering of first level groups (SVG ‘g’ tags).
- Based on the robust AmanithVG SRE rendering engine.
- High antialiasing quality: analytical pixel coverage.
- Fast rendering: 30ms tiger on Nexus4 at max resolution.
- Support of SVG Tiny 1.2 specifications with the exception of animation, text, images.
- Support of some SVG Full 1.1 features: radial gradients, gradients spread modes, path ‘d’ attribute complete syntax, inline styles.
- Limited cross platform: desktops (Win, OSX, Linux), mobile (iOS, Android, Windows Phone 8/8.1), 64bit support.
- Clear documentation and friendly use.
- Requires Unity 5.
- No compatible with Web player, Console and Windows Store Apps platforms.
- All limitsations of Unity 2D.
- No API.
Sprites are really vector graphics. Always graphics with sharp edges, tiny file size and resolution independent. It’s awesome and perfect for UI and cartoon games.
- Allow import your own SVG files. Imported files are truly SVG files no Texture2D files (Sprite…).
- Very very refined and optimized plugin.
- Easy and Drag & Drop workflow.
- SVG sprites are a new file type in Unity, with many options (graphic format, scale, custom pivot, automatic colliders…).
- Well integrated with Unity. Compatible with Unity UI and use Unity animation system (Use Animation panel but doesn’t use Animator panel). Use own animation system that works with Unity Animation panel.
- New renderer system for svg sprites with recolor option ans sorting layer field. A variant for sprites and other variant for UI images.
- Optimized for mobile, all SVG are converted to meshes with tesselation and LOD.
- Allow many SVG file features (Simple shapes, Complex shapes, Holes, Strokes, Linear Gradients, Radial Gradients, Conical Gradients).
- Generates collider automatically if you wish.
- Cross platform support.
- A very implicated, excited and friendly plugin author that will give you support and will include many other features in the future.
- Source code included.
- Collider generator only compatible with 2D colliders.
- Runtime changes are not supported.
- Doesn’t allow all SVG file features (Symbols, ClipPaths, Masks, Text, Filter Effects, Animation, Embedded images).